Easy ways to start your day with more fiber
First, figure out how much fiber you need:
Once you know your target amount, start adding fiber slowly to your breakfast:
- Try adding a few tablespoons of unprocessed wheat bran to your favorite cereal.
- Switch to cereal with 5 or more grams of fiber per serving.
- Switch to whole-wheat toast.
- Bake muffins with crushed bran cereal or unprocessed wheat bran.
- Add berries, raisins, or bananas to your cereal, pancakes, or waffles.
- Use oat flour and flax in your pancake recipes to add 1-2 grams of fiber per serving.
- Substitute wheat bran for a 1/3 of all purpose flour in your pancakes and waffle recipes.
- Switch from quick microwave oatmeal to old fashioned steel cut oats for an additional 2-4 grams of fiber per serving.